Why is there no talk about the CivIV pit boss games here?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Why is there no talk about the CivIV pit boss games here?

Post by LordMortis »

I'm really interested to see this technology work and understand it. I thought y'all were getting a game going a while ago. I'm still not sure if I'm ready for MP or not as I have played land mass exclusive (as in ships exclusive) games to this point and still know exceptionally little about the greater game, but I was still hoping to learn.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=25543

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=25378

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=25396

I'm definitely interested in this as well, but it seems like the software isn't very mature at this point. That or everyone has server issues.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

We're ironing out the server issues. Althought I've had some players drop because of issues that made them miss critical turns.

Anyway. I know for sure that I have 1 spot open as the Mongol player just abdicated, however if I recall he had a really bad starting spot. Look for the 18 player pitboss game.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Mostly I am just trying to see how it works. Do computer players take over if a player drops? Does an admin of sort have control over this?
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

There isn't too much control right now since the version out right now is a beta.

AI will automatically take over any civs where the players are dropped or kicked. Also, if someone joins the game late they can take over an AI player.
tals

Post by tals »

Turtle wrote:There isn't too much control right now since the version out right now is a beta.

AI will automatically take over any civs where the players are dropped or kicked. Also, if someone joins the game late they can take over an AI player.
tbh even in full I don't think you're likely to see much main functionality change on that aspect.

The pitboss is great but as Turtle says it is in beta. I've had the oo pitboss game going for some time now and it is pretty stable but I certainly wouldn't go starting any further pitboss games until final version comes out.

The main advantage over pbem for pitboss is you can play turns synchronously and also force a turn gen every set amount of hours. That gives a nice flow to a game and does mean Turtle can get away with hosting an 18 player game which wouldn't stand a hope of being played as a pbem.

On the converse the larger the game the less likely you will be to get everyone together - luckily in my game we have a good crew and pretty much get together for a weekly cuple of hour session. Really great fun moving the slow burner into overdrive a couple of hours a week :)

Tals