WoW add-ons and mods?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Mr. Fed

WoW add-ons and mods?

Post by Mr. Fed »

I've heard a lot about WoW add-ons and UI mods -- like cosmo, for example. I'm also hearing a lot of mixed reviews of them - they seem to steal framerate for some folks, glitch the systems of others, etc.

I'd ask on the WoW forums, but those forums seem to be what Obi-Wan had in mind when he said "never will you find a greater hive of scum, villany, l337spe@k, troubled adolescents, antisocial personality disorder sufferers, and middle-aged fat men proclaiming superiority from their parents' basements."

So, what's the story? Can anyone particularly recommend -- or warn against -- cosmo or any other AI tweak? Any essentials out there?
Seekre

The mod that I use

Post by Seekre »

I currently use the Nurfed mod from:

http://www.nurfed.com/

and really like it. Go to the site and check out the forums.
warning

Post by warning »

Yep. Nurfed is the only one I've tried and I like it. It's very simple and provides nice functionality.
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

Yeah, the WoW forum boards are pretty bad, unfortunately.

I personally would recommend Cosmos over Nurfed - it has a lot more functionality and hasn't affected my system negatively (that I can see).
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

CTMod is another good mod:

http://wow.warcraftstrategy.com/ctmod/

Bill
Odin

Post by Odin »

I used Cosmos for months and it was to the point where I could hardly stand to play the game without it. Several of its most notable features were eventually incorporated right into the WoW UI (the ability to queue up item crafting, for instance), but it was a huge mishmash of features that really enhanced the game. Haven't used it in a while so I can't speak to the current version, but I can speak for it conceptually as a great tool.

Sith
knob

Post by knob »

Add me to the Cosmos list. The other popular ones are great, don't get me wrong, but Cosmos has so many more features (A lot of which you probably won't need or use, but it's nice to know that if you needed or wanted those features, they're just a few clicks away).

But Cosmos allows you to do a lot of very easy customizing through it's menu system. You can put the bars where ever you want, you can make more bars, make bars longer or shorter, you can enable autohide for any of the bars (Including the entire interface) so you have to mouse over them to see it, and plenty of other things.

www.cosmosui.org
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

WYBaugh wrote:CTMod is another good mod:

http://wow.warcraftstrategy.com/ctmod/

Bill
Another vote for CT mod here. If all you want is a DPS counter and additional hotbars, this is the mod for you. Provides that functionality without all the Cosmos features that I never use.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I'm also in the CTMod camp. It's simple to use and gives me what I really wanted, space to add some more of my paladin skills to the screen. The DPS counter was an unexpected bonus.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I won't play without Cosmos. Two of the best features are the ability to create notes on the maps, and the ability to show quests basics from those you choose.

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
Reed

Post by Reed »

After using one of these mods, I can't imagine too many people going back. The additional hotbars in particular are virtually essential.

I use Cosmos and utilize the Popup bar, the 2 Sidebars, DPS meter, Quest Minon, Buff timers, Census, Clock, Map Notes. And probably a couple others I'm forgetting to mention at the moment, but at least use these constantly.

Map Notes is especially useful if you're an herbalist or miner, since you can mark all the spawn points.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

I played most of closed beta without any UI mods, but my main was a warrior and I got by as well as anyone without it.

I waited until my rogue hit 40 in retail before getting any mods since I didn't feel I *really* needed the extra bars until then. Got cosmos and I'll never turn back. Having keyboard shortcuts for everything is huge and being able to speed up the print speed for quest text is such a godsend on a pvp server (where you're often getting quests from shared npcs and have to accept them before the three alliance who just ran in kill you) that it almost seems unfair that others don't have the feature.

It hasn't given me any problems, and if it ever does give trouble you can get rid of it in seconds without harming your WoW install.

CTmod, Gypsy mod and the nurfed mod are all also popular and probably worth using if cosmos doesn't appeal to you.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

I've been using the CTMod. The extra bars come in handy for a warlock, but I killed the combat stats and the buff information enhancement. The map mod that comes with it is great, as is the option to get rid of the wait you get with the quest text fading in.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
vizionblind

Post by vizionblind »

ctmod, hands down