[TV] Community is Streets Ahead!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Dramatist

[TV] Community is Streets Ahead!

Post by Dramatist »

Community on NBC has been this year's break out show for me. It just keeps getting better and better.

The last episode that aired on the 25th was the funniest thing I've seen on TV in ages. We had to stop and rewind a few times to hear stuff we were laughing too loud to hear the first time. Abed has to be TVs best character now.

The whole past few episodes have been comedy gold.
Last edited by Dramatist on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
The Meal

Re: [TV] Community is awesome.

Post by The Meal »

100% from end-to-end hilarious. I don't know that there's been a 60-second period of this show that hasn't worked for me, from the first episode on.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Community and Modern Family are the two best new comedies of the past year. You can see traces of Arrested Development in both, especially Community. (See also 30 Rock.)

AD did a lot to shake up the 30-minute sitcom format. Its legacy lives on.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

Community is fun. My only requests: more Abed and Troy and much less of Jeff and Brita.

And Modern Family? SO AWESOME.
You complete me.
words
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I didn't start watching Community from the very start, so I'm waiting for the season 1 DVDs to come out (Hulu doesn't have more than the past 4 or 5 episodes or else I'd catch up that way). From the bits and pieces I've seen it looks pretty funny- plus they've got Trudy from Mad Men, and that's a good thing.

Modern Family I have been watching and laughing with every single episode.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I've missed the beginnings of both Modern Family and Community, having seen about a dozen episodes of each, but they both are fantastic. And as Tscott said, Alison Brie is terrific. :wub:
Toe

Post by Toe »

I tried, watched the first 3-4 episodes. Was not amused.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

They didn't get me with the first few episodes, but I could see there was good comedy in there, trying to find itself. I think it did with the Halloween episode. That is when I started laughing during large portions of the episodes. Changing Winger from a jackass into a nicer jackass also helped.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Toe wrote:I tried, watched the first 3-4 episodes. Was not amused.
I hope you don't mind that I will use you as a barometer for movies and shows from now. Because after reading your take on Justified, I think I can safely say that if you don't like something, I will love it (as will a lot of other folks, as evidenced by the responses in the threads you posted your proclamations in). :lol:

Speaking of which, I LOVE community. I honestly think that Chevy's stilted delivery is intentional on his part. Pierce is friggin' hilarious on the show. I think every single character works, although Abed is clearly the break out star on the show. I find it both funny and genius that he almost seems aware at times that he's on a sitcom.

I also love that they aren't afraid to go places that most wouldn't consider PC. Pierce's love of gay jokes, for example. Although they do point out that that's a negative in his character on more than occasion.
Now depoliticized.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I wasn't sold on the first few episodes and this show was almost a victim of my usual late-fall purge. I stuck with it, however, and have been rewarded with some funny stuff. I don't touch any of the other stuff on their Thursday night lineup, but Community has really turned into a winner for me. I especially like that the requisite blonde isn't perfect and always being pursued by Winger. She has issues that are bigger than the normal sitcom shtick.

And Abed is the best. I especially love the bits with Troy at the end of the show.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I really should try and give this show another shot but it might just be that sitcoms in general don't do it for me anymore. I don't miss Joel McHale on The Soup. I rely on it for all of my pop trivia knowledge. But after about three episodes of Community there was just about nothing for me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote:I really should try and give this show another shot but it might just be that sitcoms in general don't do it for me anymore.
that's too bad. hopefully you get better someday. :wink:
Now depoliticized.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

It took a while for Community to get going, but I'm very glad I stuck with it. I also thought 30 Rock was a slow starter, and I ditched it for a while before eventually going back to it.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I'll agree with those who stated that Community took awhile to find it's footing. I think anything with an ensemble case that large and diverse would take awhile. Some of the early episodes were just ok but it's really hit it's stride now. The last several shows have been filled with laughs from beginning to end.

I love the bits at the end with Troy and Abed too. The one where they were being Bert and Ernie was inspired.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

I love this show, it had me from the very first episode with their John Hughes tribute. I love Winger, Troy, and Abed, and it's also really nice that Chevy Chase is actually funny again.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and since the majority of folks seem to love it, it will soon be canceled. :twisted:
Now depoliticized.
Det. Dave

Post by Det. Dave »

My favorite one was the M*A*S*H episode. I think that one was where it all clicked and I figured out what the writers were trying to do.

This is my favorite "new" show.
This is not the sig you are looking for.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Det. Dave wrote:My favorite one was the M*A*S*H episode. I think that one was where it all clicked and I figured out what the writers were trying to do.

This is my favorite "new" show.
i was laughing my ass off after I noticed things like Jeff sporting a Hawaiian shirt towards the end...
Now depoliticized.
Toe

Post by Toe »

hepcat wrote:
Toe wrote:I tried, watched the first 3-4 episodes. Was not amused.
I hope you don't mind that I will use you as a barometer for movies and shows from now. Because after reading your take on Justified, I think I can safely say that if you don't like something, I will love it (as will a lot of other folks, as evidenced by the responses in the threads you posted your proclamations in). :lol:
Hehe, ok. I will be sure to inform you of any shows I don't like. Glad to be of service ~bow~. As for Justifed, it is not to the point of me not watching it, just that I did not enjoy the 2nd episode. But yeah, I guess that is one of my many flaws in that if a show does not grab me quickly, chances are I will lose interest and do something else with my entertainment time. Over the years, this seems to be particular true for anything on regular TV. I think The Office is about the only series I watch with any regularity other than the reality crap me and my wife enjoy (AI, Survivor, TAR). I do watch and enjoy just about any HBO series though.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Over the weekend I watched about 4 episodes. Some LOL moments and very likable characters. I'm not digging the lead right now though, and Chevy Chase is a little awkward as well.

It's got that early-on Scrubs vibe the show for me somehow. If it only goes up from here, I'll be watching more.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ChaoZ wrote:Over the weekend I watched about 4 episodes. Some LOL moments and very likable characters. I'm not digging the lead right now though, and Chevy Chase is a little awkward as well.
I completely understand the Chevy thing, but I honestly think he's creating a whole new character with Pierce instead of going back to the Fletch well again (not that that's always a bad thing, I always loves me some Fletch).
Now depoliticized.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Tonight's paintball episode was stellar. Brilliant use of action-movie tropes (and I noticed that it was directed by an actual action-movie director, Justin Lin).
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

AWS260 wrote:Tonight's paintball episode was stellar. Brilliant use of action-movie tropes (and I noticed that it was directed by an actual action-movie director, Justin Lin).
Probably my favorite episode so far. Loved it.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Sign me up the minute Community season 1 shows up on Netflix Watch Instantly.

I've been keeping up with Modern Family on Hulu and it's completely fantastic. Best comedy since How I Met Your Mother.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My wife saw Joel McHale on the Today Show this morning, and it apparently took them eight days to shoot the 23 minute episode. It was truly epic.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

ImLawBoy wrote:My wife saw Joel McHale on the Today Show this morning, and it apparently took them eight days to shoot the 23 minute episode. It was truly epic.
It must have been a ton of fun to shoot the whole set with as many paintballs as they did.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Senor Chang in a suit with an automatic paintball rifle was awesome. The show has been mostly meh for me early on and getting steadily better, but this episode was a huge step up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The show's been fantastic from day one, in my opinion. Last night's episode was just another in a series of great episodes.

I lost count of the number of the shows they were paying tribute to after the disco-roller skaters started impersonating a gang from The Warriors. Absolutely brilliant.

And my favorite line was "Tell the drama club, this time their tears are going to be real!". It was such a great riff on the cliche action hero catch phrase. :lol:
Now depoliticized.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

hepcat wrote:The show's been fantastic from day one, in my opinion. Last night's episode was just another in a series of great episodes.

I lost count of the number of the shows they were paying tribute to after the disco-roller skaters started impersonating a gang from The Warriors. Absolutely brilliant.

And my favorite line was "Tell the drama club, this time their tears are going to be real!". It was such a great riff on the cliche action hero catch phrase. :lol:
I especially liked Winger's unnecessary limp into the Dean's office, ala Die Hard.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff (devising a distraction): "Pierce, don't come over here!"

Pierce: "Screw you, I'm coming over there!"

:lol:
Now depoliticized.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

hepcat wrote:
ChaoZ wrote:Over the weekend I watched about 4 episodes. Some LOL moments and very likable characters. I'm not digging the lead right now though, and Chevy Chase is a little awkward as well.
I completely understand the Chevy thing, but I honestly think he's creating a whole new character with Pierce instead of going back to the Fletch well again (not that that's always a bad thing, I always loves me some Fletch).
I think that's exactly the effect Chevy is going for: Awkward, Uncomfortable, That someone you don't quite know what to do with.

At first I didn't like his role either, but as the season has progressed I realized that was fully his intention. He's playing the perfect 60+ divorced guy who doesn't really know how to fit in and never will, he tries too hard.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've never even HEARD of this show...guess I'm missing something.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now depoliticized.
Tommy20

Post by Tommy20 »

hentzau wrote:I've never even HEARD of this show...guess I'm missing something.
Yup, you are. Thursday at 7, NBC. Be there.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I watched these three clips, and found the one where Abed plays a white version of himself. As he's about to fight himself, he says, "C'mon, Slumdog!"

I spit cheetos on my monitor.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Since my post above, I've totally been converted. Community has become one of my favorite shows, along with Better Off Ted (which may or may not be cancelled).
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

My buddy Noah was featured in one episode. I didn't start hearing it was good till mid-season so I am waiting for the season to end so Hulu can post the whole season at once.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

The paintball episode was amazing. I love the scene when Troy sees Jeff after being apart for all of an hour and says, 'Jeff Winger, you son of a bitch, you're still alive!' and hugs him.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I liked when they found Pierce. "You're with Starburns now?" "Not if I can be with you guys!" POP.
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

I just caught up on this show. Holy crap the paintball episode was AWESOME. Previously, the Halloween episode held the top spot for me, but this totally surpassed it.