THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Wide DVD cases for games.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

FFG909

Wide DVD cases for games.

Post by FFG909 »

I hate the boxes US games come in, I mostly order imports so I can avoid the cheap boxes. They wear out, my kids rip them getting inside them, etc.

Anyway, those that purchased Silent Hunter 3 know how cool that double wide DVD case it comes in is. I found if you use a razor blade, and carefully cut our the front/side/back of normal US boxes, they fit into the sleeve of the double wides perfectly.

Thus, you can replace all your cheap boxes, with nice cases, and they actually look like the real thing. (or you can have them color copied at Kinkos at the least.. I found a company that sells the exact box that SH3 was shipped in.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/produc ... t_id=18180

Same brand and style of SH3 packaging (NexPak GamePak).
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Brothers in Arms also shipped in the same case. I really like it. I'm a lot more likely to hold onto my boxes when they're a plastic DVD case. I have something safe to keep my game and manual together in. Keeps everything safe and together.

Oh, and let's not forget the games are actually on a DVD to boot. I hate babysitting an install that requires switching discs.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My import copy of KOTOR2 came in a US box with a DVD box inside of it...it was the exact box..graphics and all..so that was pretty cool.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

I am also someone who loves DVD style cases. I also love the DVD version of games, though I have had issues with some running on older players.
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

I just ordered a case of 50 of those cases as linked above. I'll let you know how the conversion process goes.

My sons are well manored kids, but opening and closing the cheap cardboard boxes US games come in ain't cutting it. They get squashed, ripped, worn to tatters.. This is about the best system I can think of for them. Not to mention they just look good, and hold CD/DVD's properly.. Some of these small plastic cases its torture to remove a CD from them!
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Concerning SHIII and the "box within a box"........is the outer paper box actually necessary with these jumbo DVD cases? I certainly don't think so. Seems rather redundant.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
naednek

Post by naednek »

I personally don't like it, because it now renders my cd case holder useless
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I have a couple of hard, clamshell cases that are about the size of 3 DVD cases but hold 60 disks each. They take up a lot less space, I throw away everything else.
Black Lives Matter
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

Greggy_D wrote:Concerning SHIII and the "box within a box"........is the outer paper box actually necessary with these jumbo DVD cases? I certainly don't think so. Seems rather redundant.
They are redundant, however all of the major retailers "Refuse" to take PC games in DVD style cases, and those sleeves are more or less to appease them.

I read a trade publication that said there are two major reasons why retailers are fighting DVD style cases.

1) They are worried consumers will confuse them for Xbox, or other Console games.

2) They don't like the reduced real estate on the spine of the smaller DVD cases, because many retailers are now displaying PC games on their sides.

In otherwords, they think we are stupid, and they don't think PC games deserve the space that console games get. :roll:
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

If you really want DVD cases and don't mind getting a wee bit dirty, Blockbuster Video loves to toss these cases, and then you can get them for free AND help the world breathe a little better.

I don't think you'll ever find a double-DVD case, however.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Caine

Post by Caine »

sounds good. i was buying some memorex clear dvd cases that can store 3 discs. too bad they are no longer available.
WRecently WRisen from the gwave.
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

Heres a PDF template for the outside cover, so you know what size to color copy and cut down them to.

http://www.usplastic.com/pdfdatafiles/3 ... 1-2003.pdf

I've done 2 of them and they look incredibly profession on my bookshelf. Can't wait to do the entire library, and toss out the cheesy boxes.
philosophist

Post by philosophist »

The bigger the box the better. I hate the new, smaller boxes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Greggy_D wrote:Concerning SHIII and the "box within a box"........is the outer paper box actually necessary with these jumbo DVD cases? I certainly don't think so. Seems rather redundant.
The biggest problem I see with that is sticker shock. Stores like to stick all kinds of crap on the boxes...price stickers, NEW stickers, discount stickers, GotY Stickers.....I certainly would'nt want all those stickers on my pretty DVD case.
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

Daehawk wrote:
The biggest problem I see with that is sticker shock. Stores like to stick all kinds of crap on the boxes...price stickers, NEW stickers, discount stickers, GotY Stickers.....I certainly would'nt want all those stickers on my pretty DVD case.
Very good point.. The answer is to shrinkwrap the DVD cases.

EBGame Stores are HORRIBLE about putting stickers all over and ruining boxes. When I bought Rome Total War there (last game i'll buy at EB), it had no less than 7 stickers on it. 4 of them were "TRADE IN YOUR USED GAMES" stickers. When you try to peel them off, they destry the ink on the box.

Absolutely pathetic, just another reason to hate that place. I wrote corporate a nastygram about that store doing that.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

FFG909 wrote: EBGame Stores are HORRIBLE about putting stickers all over and ruining boxes.
Indeed. When I bought a used expansion pack for Medal of Honor, there was a sticker on the cd-case under the shrinkwrapping that I had to peel off to read the cd-key. :evil:
Caine

Post by Caine »

i picked up some enlarged paper designed for the smaller cases, but haven't put the time in to use any of it. how much longer is the big case wraparound than the regular size?
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

The full dimensions of the wraparound for those Nexpak cases is:

5 1/8 on front and back, Spine is 1 5/16th. Or total would be 11 7/32 I believe. Theres a chart of the sizes for the sleeve on the link above.
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

Heres an update.. 8 Double Wide Game DVD cases arrived today. I ordered 50, but they were out, and sent me what they had and put the rest on backorder for a week.

The cases arrived, and are quite impressive. Nice thick plastic, heavy outer clear plastic sleeve holder. The knob inside the case holds a total of 4 CDs or DVD's, and theres plenty of room for extras in the box.

I converted 8 normal worn out boxes with the new cases, and its quite amazing how it cleaned up my shelf. Now the CD's are easily accessable by me and the kids, and the boxes won't get chewed up.

I have a color copier, so all I did was copy the original boxes, trimmed up the copy, and inserted it into the case sleeve. Then I filed the boxes away in the attic in the event I sell anything later and need them back. Some of the labels need to be trimmed up a bit better, and properly aligned on the sleeve cover - i'll clean em up later. :-) You can see the SH3 and Shadowbane double DVD cases, and how they are a tad smaller. But the ones I ordered actually are identical in size to the flimsey boxes so its a perfect match.

Kobra

Post by Kobra »

Thats two games I picked up today that came in DVD cases, woot!

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Lego Star Wars, both in DVD cases. I guess the movement is growing, good news!
tals

Post by tals »

You see your bottom 3 (chaos League etc), that is how all of mine look (with the exception of WOW :) )

Tals
Caine

Post by Caine »

looks great ffg909. i'll put an order in and see what i can do with them.

edited as i missed something right in the first paragraph. time for an eye check