April is RPG Month (?)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

D.A.Lewis

April is RPG Month (?)

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I did this last year in October and I believe and some of the very same games were mentioned. But I think the single player RPG world may turn a corner next month with at least these three releases. The links are to gogamer, but I have no affiliation.

1 . . . Dungeon Lords 04/01/2005

2 . . . Heretic Kingdoms (formerly Kult) 04/04/2005

3 . . . Restricted Area 04/15/2005

I put this in general because it was just about release patterns but mods feel free to move to Unreleased games.
JayG

Post by JayG »

From everything I've read, I really hope that Dungeon Lords is delayed. Almost every preview states that it has huge potential. But that it's also incredibly unpolished. It could be another Wizards and Warriors.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

It's already been delayed twice big time. I think by now the bugs should be out. If the game is still not ready, then maybe they don't have the game they set out to make. It's time to publish and fix all the design problems in the sequel. . . . DID I SAY THAT??????
Gorath

Post by Gorath »

I read in Unreleased Games that the DL demo will be available for download in a few hours.

For the multi-language people around here: The language of choice for DL is German. DTP will have every single dialog line spoken by professional actors. Dreamcatcher´s english version will only have selective voice acting.

-Sacred: Underworld is also released internationally in late April. The first reviews are in. Making small improvements just about everywhere, polishing things up in an add-on or the 2nd part and adding a lot of new content is one of Ascaron´s biggest strengths. So it´s no surprise all reviews so far say S:U is MOTS on an improved level and of course a blind buy for every Sacred fan.
On a side note, Ascaron announced that Sacred sold more than 200k in Germany and more than 800k worldwide. Quite a success for a company which was more dead than alive 3 years ago.

edit: the uncut UK version will come on April 22nd. GoGamer will carry it for 40$ (blame the weak $ for the price ;) ). A release date for the US version is unconfirmed. Afaik Encore went out of the publishing business, so they´re no option.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Is Sacred Underworld the game they are giving away to previous owners or is this a true sequel? I really liked the original Sacred, while it wasn't as good as Divine Divinity it was really fun to play. I typically don't replay games once I finish them, but Sacred is one of the few I actually plan on getting back to.

With all these RPGs coming out it's going to be a busy spring and summer. To bad they are all so late because we've had record rainfall in Southern California. And I love playing computer with rain as the soundtrack.
Gorath

Post by Gorath »

Sacred: Underworld is the add-on. The gimmick was Sacred Plus.

Rain ... I´ve never seen it as something special. It´s raining all the time here. ;)
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

thanks for the clarification

Living in So Cal for most of my life, I've sorta gotten tired of Blue skies just about every fricking single day. The rain and grey skies are most welcome.

BTW, Gorath, why is the formating for RPG dot com off? Just about the whole web page is squeezed onto the right side to make room for the RPG dot com header column on the left.
Gorath

Post by Gorath »

Looks normal to me. Maybe Jolt was experimenting with the layout. We´ll get a little redesign to get rid of some old problems and to standardize the ads with the rest of the Jolt network.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

Even though it didn't get released here, I found a review of Kult's european release here:

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=21586

Most of the reviews I saw were pretty positive, and said pretty similar things. Sounds like a good and fun game, even if not a great one.
JayG

Post by JayG »

I have the same problem with RPGDot.

As for RPGs, the English version of Night of the Raven is supposed to be released in a few weeks. That's well worth getting. kult is a fun game, and would be a decent budget game. Jade Empire is due in a few weeks, and that looks great.

Any word on Metalheart and Goldensun? Both looked very promising.
Gorath

Post by Gorath »

Jolt was really playing around with the layout. They added another ad box.

TNotR isn´t being released in a few weeks. The announcement will be made then. G2 did ship in Italy, Spain and France through local publisher as planned. I don´t think the English add-on will come out earlier than 3 months after the G2 rerelease in the UK. My guess is that JoWooD wants to get through with G2, TNotR and G2 Gold until Christmas.

edit: the JoWooD community manager really said TNotR will be released in the UK in a few weeks, so my specualtion above may be wrong.

On a sidenote, Eurogamer.net lists G3 for UK release on Nov. 4th. Sounds unlikely to me. ;)
qp

Post by qp »

Don't forget Jade Empire!
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
JayG

Post by JayG »

I already mentioned it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Here's another one, hybrid FPS/RPG - Boiling Point:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/boiling-point- ... 205p1.html

FYI, I think Restricted Area isn't out until the 29th of April - EB Games has the date you have but the publisher says 4/29.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Crosscut games (Runesword) looks like they're getting ready to release Dungeon Delvers.

Not sure if it'll make April...but hey, we can add it to the list, right? :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I am so anxious for some new RPGS I've been going to gogamer on a daily basis to see if the dates have been updated.

The last single player RPG I finished was Morrowwind about 6 weeks ago. The last new RPG I finished was Sacred. During the interim, I re-played M&M 7 and Gothic 2 (as a mage). So if the above listed games do come out, they should keep me busy till Either Oblivian or Gothic 3 comes out sometime in mid 2006.

I guess I can break down and get StarWolves now but I'll wait.

BTW, Riddick is almost like an RPG. It's a fun little game. What surprised me is that that part of the movie (Chronicles) bored me but the game is fun to play. They also have a very unique way of giving you the games extra game features.
Dhruin

Post by Dhruin »

Not sure if anyone will care about this one but Sudeki for the PC was due in Europe on March 25th...since it doesn't seem to have made that date, perhaps it's an April release. :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ya know, they're a long ways off, but the two games I am most desperately salivating for are Bioshock and Fallout 3. Those two games cannot arrive early enough.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Fallout 3 :shock: :shock:

I guess April will not be RPG month for you. :)

Fallout 3 falls in the catergory of "I'll believe it when I see it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

D.A.Lewis wrote:Fallout 3 :shock: :shock:

I guess April will not be RPG month for you. :)

Fallout 3 falls in the catergory of "I'll believe it when I see it"
Well, Bethesda did buy the license - I suspect that means they'll eventually do something with it.

But April will be a decent month, I'm looking forward to Restricted Area - had my eye on that one for a while now. Don't really care for the others though. The medieval fantasy theme is waaay overdone by now - and I never liked it anyway :)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Is Oblivion out yet? ;)