PSP or video card

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Daehawk

PSP or video card

Post by Daehawk »

Was'nt sure where to put this but since Im a pc person I stuck it here and wedged it in real tight.

Ive been pointing out the PSP to my wife since a few days before it's release. Today as Im walking by her she says "if you want a PSP Ill get you one." Bout had to change my underwear. Thing is we dont have much money..ever. I never have any. She has more than me. But she would still have to put one in layaway and pay it out over time. I told her Id think on it. She wants an answer soon. I also know if I dont tell her soon they will be gone.

I want one super bad. BUT I dont like any of the games for it..Im not a sports or racing or puzzle fan and that seems to be all the PSP has right now. Id like a good RPG or strategy game ior shooter for it.

Also I could use a vid card. I could'nt get one put in layaway but tit would be cheaper than a PSP. I was thinking about the 6600GT. Right now my setup is a P4 2.4ghz, 1 gig pc2700 ram, GF4 ti4200. My system runs everything..like WoW on max and nexus all maxed out..but others like Far Cry and stuff I have to turn down. Would I even see a big boost with a 6600GT?

I dont know what to go with here. PSP is great but lacks games...vidcard is great but my current one is doing pretty well.
disarm

Re: PSP or video card

Post by disarm »

Daehawk wrote:I want one super bad. BUT I dont like any of the games for it..Im not a sports or racing or puzzle fan and that seems to be all the PSP has right now. Id like a good RPG or strategy game ior shooter for it.

I dont know what to go with here. PSP is great but lacks games...vidcard is great but my current one is doing pretty well.
this reason alone sounds like a good enough reason to hold off on a PSP for now. you'll have plenty of chance to buy one later once games that you would enjoy have been released. in the meantime, you can tuck a little money away to help pay for it.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

Get the video card. While everyone's PSP will be gathering dust in their gadget drawer, you will still gaming.
U2K Tha Greate$t

Post by U2K Tha Greate$t »

P2P = 250

No thanks. :lol:
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

I don't understand why you want a PSP if you don't like the games. I'm a tech freak and love new stuff as well, but I wouldn't drop money on something I'm not going to use, especially on layaway.

If a year down the road you see some "must own" titles for the PSP, buy it then. The PSP might have a price drop and you'll have a better idea of what accesories, etc. you'll need for it.

As for the vid card, a 6600GT would be a step up, but I'd save for something better. I realise you said cash isn't too plentiful, but I think for a few more bucks you could get something with more "oomph" that will last you a lot longer. Iirc, a 6600GT with 128mb will probably cost you around $200. For an extra $80 you could score an ATI X800 XL with 256mb.

The XL is the best price/performance card at the moment. It's about $60 less then a 6800 and can outperform it in most tests (though Nvidia still has ATI beat for Doom 3). Firingsquad just reviewed a bunch of them.

Link: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati ... l_roundup/
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

I love the PSP, but if you had to go as far as to put it on layaway or stuggle to pay for it. I'd say skip it for now.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

PSP is a ripoff, and your graphics card is a dinosaur. No question whats the better decision.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

What ever happened to those medical bills? Don't you still need to finish paying those off?

Seriously, your gfx card is fine (same as my roomates) and you certainly don't need a PSP. If anything, start saving money!

I swear that this is the best advice you are going to see in this entire thread.
I'm special!
Ridah

Post by Ridah »

I'd wait a while for the PSP, a majority of the units produced have technical issues.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Seriously, your gfx card is fine (same as my roomates) and you certainly don't need a PSP. If anything, start saving money!
Saving money is nice, however that old graphics card isn't even DX9 capable, and to enjoy most of the games nowdays, you need a DX9 card. GF4 cards went out with the bell bottom pants. Time to get real!
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Kobra wrote:
ChrisGrenard wrote:Seriously, your gfx card is fine (same as my roomates) and you certainly don't need a PSP. If anything, start saving money!
Saving money is nice, however that old graphics card isn't even DX9 capable, and to enjoy most of the games nowdays, you need a DX9 card. GF4 cards went out with the bell bottom pants. Time to get real!
I'm special!
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Seriously though, are you made of money or something? I had a Ti4400 up until about 6 months ago when Jpinard sold me his old Radeon 9800. Shit man, my roomate can run the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory at medium for all graphical settings and it runs fine. "to enjoy most of the games nowdays" my ass.
I'm special!
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Kobra wrote:
yeah im guessing medical bills and stuff is less real than the wonders of DX9 gaming.
wheres that emoticon..
oh here we go: 8)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

heh still have them..got my 3rd late letter today. Still not heard from the hospital..I dont have the money..my wife will have some from a loan. its her cash not mine. And layaway is still ify cause she can put it in and hopefully get it out. If I dont say yes then later on she wont have any money. Guess Ill skip both and just wait.

Lets see...I need money and even with $10000 in 10 year past due credit cards they keep sending me pre approved offers...about 3 a week. Maybe Ill just get all those and go deeper and see where the credit hole goes. :D jk not that crazy. You'd think with dead credit they would'nt send me that stuff.
Larraque

Post by Larraque »

Get neither? ;)
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

What ever happened to those medical bills? Don't you still need to finish paying those off?

Seriously, your gfx card is fine (same as my roomates) and you certainly don't need a PSP. If anything, start saving money!

I swear that this is the best advice you are going to see in this entire thread.

Agreed... didn't you have a thread a while back about how broke you were? How bout not spending money on a game machine and putting it towards bills or something other than entertainment?
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

ChrisGrenard wrote:What ever happened to those medical bills? Don't you still need to finish paying those off?

That's the worst advise. Are you some kinda commie? Spend my friend, Spend. Get Both. Be happy. Why delay gratification when you can have it now? Don't wait till your too old to have fun. Get the card and be with it at home. Get the PSP to give yourself something to do while you're at work. Save Money. Sheezzzzzzz. budget be damned, use a fricking credit card. They're easy to get. Criminey. Be sure to post your PSP impressions tonigh after you take the plunge. golly willikers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

lol ..I like this man...not in that way :shock: