2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

[Update] Code of Conduct Posted

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Gedd
Technical Admin

[Update] Code of Conduct Posted

Post by Gedd »

The Code of Conduct has been posted to the site. It can be accessed by clicking the link in between the FAQ and Search at the top of each page. On my to do list is to create a unique icon for it for both themes, but for now the memberlist icon will do.

If there are any *technical* issues with accessing the CoC, or any new technical issues that may have popped up since it was posted, please post them here. If you have any questions or comments about the CoC otherwise, please start a new thread in the meta forum.

Thanks.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Please be sparing in posting images
Sorry.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Re: the copyright policy - I often post complete stories from sites where registration is required, like the NY Times. A lot of people will never read a link to a site where you have to register (even with sites like Bugmenot). I figured including a link to the story as acknowledgement covered the copyright issues. Is that not appropriate?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Mad Hatter wrote:Re: the copyright policy - I often post complete stories from sites where registration is required, like the NY Times. A lot of people will never read a link to a site where you have to register (even with sites like Bugmenot). I figured including a link to the story as acknowledgement covered the copyright issues. Is that not appropriate?
Technically, 'fair use' is limited to a quote and a link. Posting a full story is a copyright violation. Whether we'd allow that or not - I don't know. We'll beat it around.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

That sort of question is the type that belongs in its own thread.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Abandonware/Piracy
Linking to warez or other illegal media downloads is not permitted. Linking to sites that provide illegal content is not permitted. Mentioning, either by name directly or through creative means, sites where illegal content is available is not permitted. Enabling Octopus Overlords users to find illegal downloadable content is not welcome on these forums. NOCD cracks and leaked demos may be linked to and discussed as desired. Please limit links to sites that don't violate site policy. Staff will have the final decision on what is acceptable. Linking to so called abandoned intellectual property (IP), including software, will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

Certain websites have clearly-defined policies where IP holders can ensure that their property is not made available. Links to these sites will be allowed.

We don't forbid discussion of piracy here; we only forbid linking to websites that offer games illegally for download. If you want to discuss, advertise, or otherwise brag about recent software you've pirated, find somewhere else to do it.
Let me check whether I see this correctly. It's now permitted to post NO-CD cracks, and as such it's for example permitted to link to gamecopyworld?

And furthermore, the Home of the Underdogs can now be linked to, as they remove games after they've been contacted by the owner of the property?

Oh, and there's a typo in the bit about Forum Administrators where it says alwasy instead of always. And finally, shouldn't you post an announcement such as this in all the forums, and not just the meta-forum which not everyone reads?
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Napoleon wrote:Let me check whether I see this correctly. It's now permitted to post NO-CD cracks, and as such it's for example permitted to link to gamecopyworld?

And furthermore, the Home of the Underdogs can now be linked to, as they remove games after they've been contacted by the owner of the property?
Correct on both counts.
Oh, and there's a typo in the bit about Forum Administrators where it says alwasy instead of always.
Good find. You're not the first person to point it out, but the more attention it gets the better the chance of it being corrected. :)
And finally, shouldn't you post an announcement such as this in all the forums, and not just the meta-forum which not everyone reads?
That's a self-fufilling prophecy. If we make the Meta Forum announcements redundant on each forum, then the Meta Forum becomes wasted space. Folks will either notice this announcement/thread-regarding-technical-details, or they'll notice the link, or they'll have the link pointed out to them when it becomes relevant. Mostly Gedd's trying to identify technical details associated with the link.

We're far afield of this thread (Gedd wanted only technical issues posted here, such as the alwasy typo), not CoC content discussion.

And, of course, we're hoping all content-related questions about the CoC get posted to a new Meta Forum thread so those things can be discussed.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Okeydokey, thanks for the clarifications.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Napoleon wrote:Oh, and there's a typo in the bit about Forum Administrators where it says alwasy instead of always.
This has been corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.
Nappy wrote:And finally, shouldn't you post an announcement such as this in all the forums, and not just the meta-forum which not everyone reads?
The Meal wrote:Mostly Gedd's trying to identify technical details associated with the link.
Bingo. I just posted the CoC...it's up to the rest of staff to decide whether to make a general announcement to the fact.