The OctoPedia Project

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Mr. Fed

The OctoPedia Project

Post by Mr. Fed »

The premise: a resource so that people won't incessantly ask "you all keep saying [x], where did that come from? What does it mean?" Also, a resource that helps us remember great moments in board culture and history.

Examples:

"Chew on your baby, [dog name]!"
Use: A generic expression of anger, disgust, angst, or delight, depending on context.
Origin: Used by Fretmute, describing how an ex-girlfriend (who broke up with him by e-mail) addressed her dog, and later adopted as a catchphrase in that thread.
Popehat, a blog.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Nice idea.

Perhaps a wiki?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Great idea.
LawBeefaroni wrote:Nice idea.

Perhaps a wiki?
Perhaps even one installed on the site server?

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Can we have photos too?
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Wikis are good.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

The premise:
A FAQ could handle this (like, say, the board FAQ. The one I'm supposed to update and haven't *whistles innocently).

However, a wiki does offer advantages, and we are mulling throwing up a wiki for this purpose.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Heh. Kewl.

"Popehat!"
Use: A term in which one unilaterally declares victory during a debate or contest, and as to which all other participants must concede victory after popehat has been declared.
Origin: Coined by Smoove_B during a poker game, wherein he used mad origami skilz to turn a dollar bill into the shape of the pontiff's chapeau and then began uttering in a falsetto "You cannot defeat the power of the Popehat," whereupon Smoove started drawing amazing cards and took RunningMn9's money from GuidoTKP (who had previously liberated said funds from RunningMn9), causing RunningMn9 to have to eat Starbursts for lunch the following day.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

GuidoTKP wrote:Smoove_B . . . began uttering in a falsetto
And now we have an example for our definition of "tautology"
Popehat, a blog.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Great idea, Fed!

If it comes from a thread on the board, I think it'd be pretty sweet if it were linked to.

Like:
"Chew on your baby, [dog name]!"
Use: A generic expression of anger, disgust, angst, or delight, depending on context.
Origin: Used by Fretmute, describing how an ex-girlfriend (who broke up with him by e-mail) addressed her dog, and later adopted as a catchphrase in that thread.
Depending how far you wanted to take it someone could even add in a couple examples of the phrase spotted "in the wild" from threads where various people have used it.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Hump the Shark.

Phrase mangled by Someone Associated with Mr. Fed and since adopted in place of the correct phrase (at least in the Meal/MHS household).

I'm too lazy to link to the original thread by Mr. Fed. Even though I'm not too lazy to make rhymes.
docvego

Post by docvego »

Wiki! Wiki!

I just started doing some searching to try to figure out the chew on baby thing, a wiki would help out ever so much.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

The Wiki project could lend itself well to the "sell OctO t-shirts with catchy phrases" project. T-shirt ideas could flood in from the Wiki.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

We could move the definition of YK there :twisted:
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!