Sub-forums for different MMOs/CoRPGs/Whatever

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Westlin

Sub-forums for different MMOs/CoRPGs/Whatever

Post by Westlin »

Call me kookie (waits for that first lame joke on that one. ;) ) but maybe we should start new sub-forums for each MMO/CoRPG/Team-shooter/whatever instead of just different threads under Multiplayer. It's getting a bit hard weeding out all the non-related posts. Just a though...
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Having listened to the discussion in the past about various different sub-forum suggestions, I'm thinking this one is going to get shot down - and I agree.

There just isn't the traffic to justify a whole new forum for every different game. To use the current example, there are only a total of 10 Guild Wars threads on the first page of Games by Title and Multiplayer - combined. And of those, only five have been active within the last week. Five threads does not a forum make.

- Ash
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It's a thought worth discussion for certain. Thanks for posting it!

I'm going to bump this topic over to the Meta Forum, however, as that's where the community discusses issues related to the forums/site in general.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

I could see a temporary sub-forum for when talk on a game starts overpowering the forum. Like when the game is released or an expansion and chatter spikes for an extended period. I don't think they should be permanent because the chatter will die down eventually.

Either that or have some "official" thread for each game so there isn't a flood of different threads (the CoH thread seems fairly self-contained with only occasional new threads sprouting up).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd think time would be the thing to justify splitting a forum off. For instance, if guild wars is still holding 100 OOer's interest in September and they are still discussing it often here, then an GW subforum might be appropriate. As it goes, I can appreciate how we have matured in our topics over the years. the 24 page GW thread we see now would have been 24 one page threads two years ago.

In virtue of this, when examining whether to create a specific game forum, a la OOTP, I think it might be more prudent to look at the amount of posts on a subject, rather than the amount of threads. I think you'd find that topic creep would happen if it was allowed.
Westlin

Post by Westlin »

True I can see the intrest dying down and it make the forum sluggish and minimal in posts but it still brings a bit of order to the chaos that is the forums. And even if that did die down for that forum that just will give a cue to those that the group as a whole has moved on to the next thing. *shrug* Every forum doesn't have to be continuously active to be useful. But in lue of that maybe go with game grouping for forums. So instead of a bucket bin of everything that is multiplayer go to 3 games per forum or what have you. Depends I guess mostly on what games every member is playing and how prevelant that is among everyone else. But I assumed this has been brought forward before. Heck who wouldn't but I just signed up today to the forums although I was among the beginning GW guildies.

Still just shooting from the hip......