OO Forums ranked by total number of posts.

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

The Mad Hatter

OO Forums ranked by total number of posts.

Post by The Mad Hatter »

As of 11.38 AM EST, May 11.
  1. Everything But Gaming 107427
  2. Religion & Politics 34284
  3. PC Games By Title 22183
  4. PC Gaming in General 9286
  5. Unreleased Games 5426
  6. General Computing 5210
  7. Multiplayer 4150
  8. The Overlords Meta 3839
  9. Consoles 3716
  10. Trade Forum 2072
  11. OOLB 1437
  12. The Bargain Bin 1415
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

Interesting.
gellar

Post by gellar »

Rubyeye wrote:Interesting.
Some would say... fuckin interesting.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

What is the average number of posts per thread in each forum?
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

gellar wrote:
Rubyeye wrote:Interesting.
Some would say... fuckin interesting.

gellar
Or even....fascinating.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Captivating.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Mini-Meal.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Why was my name ommitted from this thread?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Nano Meal. The Meal would not pose a question that opened the door for actual in-depth statistical analysis without at least performing a substantial amount of analysis with supporting graphs himself. To fail to provide the research is way beneath The Meal.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Rip wrote:Nano Meal. The Meal would not pose a question that opened the door for actual in-depth statistical analysis without at least performing a substantial amount of analysis with supporting graphs himself. To fail to provide the research is way beneath The Meal.
The research consisted of cutting and pasting the listed totals into a post and formatting them. What they mean is up to the world.
- George Orwell
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

This part of the world thinks you are making fun of the Meal's statistics. The entire population here thinks it is funny.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

And my one word response was, of course, referring to the nature of these kinds of posts. As in, the target audience is held captive and forced to read them despite their level of inherent interest.

Additionally I was referring to how forum participants are sat upon and forced to make entries in the EbG & R&P forums against their will.

Rip, I appreciate what you've said here. I do try and put forth a modicum of analysis whenever I present new information (or new methods of distributing statistics). At work, the person who presents data without analysis is quickly pulled aside and have had explained to them that our jobs are not in being excel jockeys, but actually making sense of the results of that jockeying.

That said, I have no qualms about presenting data here, and seeing varying ideas as to how it should be interpreted.

~Neal
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

The Meal wrote:And my one word response was, of course, referring to the nature of these kinds of posts. As in, the target audience is held captive and forced to read them despite their level of inherent interest.

Additionally I was referring to how forum participants are sat upon and forced to make entries in the EbG & R&P forums against their will.

Rip, I appreciate what you've said here. I do try and put forth a modicum of analysis whenever I present new information (or new methods of distributing statistics). At work, the person who presents data without analysis is quickly pulled aside and have had explained to them that our jobs are not in being excel jockeys, but actually making sense of the results of that jockeying.

That said, I have no qualms about presenting data here, and seeing varying ideas as to how it should be interpreted.

~Neal
Hey, I wasn't making fun of anyone. Those are the other guy's words (too lazy to scroll screen and see whose).
- George Orwell
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The Mad Hatter wrote:Hey, I wasn't making fun of anyone. Those are the other guy's words (too lazy to scroll screen and see whose).
Might there be a different reason as to why you're coming off as defensive, then? Seriously, it could be just my own perception, of course.

But I think you posted some numbers then hoped the analysis of those numbers (and conclusions formed) would fall into someone else's lap of responsibility.

To be more direct, what was your purpose behind posting the numbers? How would you spell out their meaning, in simple words?

~Neal
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

The Meal wrote:
The Mad Hatter wrote:Hey, I wasn't making fun of anyone. Those are the other guy's words (too lazy to scroll screen and see whose).
Might there be a different reason as to why you're coming off as defensive, then? Seriously, it could be just my own perception, of course.

But I think you posted some numbers then hoped the analysis of those numbers (and conclusions formed) would fall into someone else's lap of responsibility.

To be more direct, what was your purpose behind posting the numbers? How would you spell out their meaning, in simple words?

~Neal
Aside from being sick and irritable...I posted that list because I thought it was interesting. I thought the thread killah stuff was interesting too. I like statistics. I didn't expect it to be interpreted as some kind of subtle joke.

Edit to add - Well, the EBG and R&P forums are completely dominant, even more so than they were on GG. I find the evolution from a pure gaming site back in the day on GG to one where gaming is peripheral to be interesting, and I wonder if that's standard for these kinds of sites.
- George Orwell
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Ack. I was hoping to make it back in here before you, so I could point out that I clearly *am* being defensive, especially considering that I didn't even know your motive. Sorry for coming across so stridently. My apologies for that.

There's no question that it's an interesting list and it says a lot about the nature of these boards and the folks who use them. I'd agree that EbG & R&P do dominate the scene around here, which is sort of a shame for a "site" that purports to be about gaming.

I'd also expect that were a front page ever generated (don't laugh, it hasn't been officially axed as far as I've seen) that those forums would lose some of their dominance. That's why I got so pissy (well as pissy as a guy could get with a one word response) above. My chain of (defensive) thought was: 1. the forums focus on non-gaming topics, 2. this is supposed to be a "site" about gaming, 3. obviously we'd see more gaming discussion were there to be a front page, 4. WhereTF is the Front Page?!?!

Again, my apologies for being a jackass. I don't even have the sick & irritable excuse to lean on (although maybe one wouldn't have to look too far to determine why I may be a little bit cranky in this thread).

~Neal
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

The Meal wrote:Ack. I was hoping to make it back in here before you, so I could point out that I clearly *am* being defensive, especially considering that I didn't even know your motive. Sorry for coming across so stridently. My apologies for that.

There's no question that it's an interesting list and it says a lot about the nature of these boards and the folks who use them. I'd agree that EbG & R&P do dominate the scene around here, which is sort of a shame for a "site" that purports to be about gaming.

I'd also expect that were a front page ever generated (don't laugh, it hasn't been officially axed as far as I've seen) that those forums would lose some of their dominance. That's why I got so pissy (well as pissy as a guy could get with a one word response) above. My chain of (defensive) thought was: 1. the forums focus on non-gaming topics, 2. this is supposed to be a "site" about gaming, 3. obviously we'd see more gaming discussion were there to be a front page, 4. WhereTF is the Front Page?!?!

Again, my apologies for being a jackass. I don't even have the sick & irritable excuse to lean on (although maybe one wouldn't have to look too far to determine why I may be a little bit cranky in this thread).

~Neal
No worries, I understand given the context. I think one of the reasons there's less gaming talk here is that when GG imploded there was a split between this site and Console Gold. A lot of the hardcore gamers post mostly or entirely on CG, while I think the reverse is true for the non-gaming posters. The lack of a front page probably doesn't help either, though I don't pay much attention to CG's.

Not that I have a problem the current setup - I enjoy posting in pretty much all parts of this site.
- George Orwell
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

The Mad Hatter wrote:
The Meal wrote:Ack. I was hoping to make it back in here before you, so I could point out that I clearly *am* being defensive, especially considering that I didn't even know your motive. Sorry for coming across so stridently. My apologies for that.

~Neal
No worries, I understand given the context. I think one of the reasons there's less gaming talk here is that when GG imploded there was a split between this site and Console Gold. A lot of the hardcore gamers post mostly or entirely on CG, while I think the reverse is true for the non-gaming posters. The lack of a front page probably doesn't help either, though I don't pay much attention to CG's.

Not that I have a problem the current setup - I enjoy posting in pretty much all parts of this site.
I don't get the whole Console Gold has more gaming posts thing. It has 39,238 posts in it's gaming sections. OO has 44,986 posts in a significantly shorter amount of time. While there may be a lot more posts in EbG here on OO, there is still a good amount more gaming discussion then at CG.

Anywho, I'm not trying to jump on you MH, it's just that I see it said constantly that CG is the "gaming site" while OO is all about off-topic. That just simply isn't true.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Actually, alot of hardcore gamers post on Qt3.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Dirt wrote:Actually, alot of hardcore gamers post on Qt3.
Certainly. But are these folks who jumped shipt to Qt3 when GG croaked? Qt3 had a vibrant (but mostly separate) gaming community alongside GG's. Did they absorb some of the wayward?

~Neal
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

godhugh wrote: I don't get the whole Console Gold has more gaming posts thing. It has 39,238 posts in it's gaming sections. OO has 44,986 posts in a significantly shorter amount of time. While there may be a lot more posts in EbG here on OO, there is still a good amount more gaming discussion then at CG.

Anywho, I'm not trying to jump on you MH, it's just that I see it said constantly that CG is the "gaming site" while OO is all about off-topic. That just simply isn't true.
I think it's a question of focus. CG may have fewer gaming posts but the site is clearly focused on console and (since the split) PC games. I guess that's what TM is talking about with the front page - it tells anyone coming by that it's a gamer site. Since this is purely a forum it's a little less clear what the focus is.
- George Orwell
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

The Meal wrote:
Dirt wrote:Actually, alot of hardcore gamers post on Qt3.
Certainly. But are these folks who jumped shipt to Qt3 when GG croaked? Qt3 had a vibrant (but mostly separate) gaming community alongside GG's. Did they absorb some of the wayward?

~Neal
Probably not as many as CG, since it wasn't very friendly to new users. It took almost a month for my new user application to be approved, and by then I was settled here.
- George Orwell
Ridah

Post by Ridah »

I've visited CG a few times, I think OO has more gaming discussion as well. I remember looking at a Splinter Cell impressions thread there and the one here, ours had like 3-4 pages I think, there's had maybe 12 replies at most. I know it could be just 2-3 people filling up those pages but that was just an example, I've seen the same with other threads.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The Mad Hatter wrote:
godhugh wrote: I don't get the whole Console Gold has more gaming posts thing. It has 39,238 posts in it's gaming sections. OO has 44,986 posts in a significantly shorter amount of time. While there may be a lot more posts in EbG here on OO, there is still a good amount more gaming discussion then at CG.

I think it's a question of focus. CG may have fewer gaming posts but the site is clearly focused on console and (since the split) PC games. I guess that's what TM is talking about with the front page - it tells anyone coming by that it's a gamer site. Since this is purely a forum it's a little less clear what the focus is.
I also think that the content tended to also coalesce discussions more around games- whether it was the short takes, or Bill's slider tweaks, etc. focused us more on the gaming side...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Odin

Post by Odin »

The Meal wrote: 2. this is supposed to be a "site" about gaming,
I actually wonder if this is still true. Granted, we all (mostly) came together because we visitied a site that clearly WAS about gaming, but at least for me, I have a lot more to discuss than just gaming topics, and apparently so do a lot of other people. When GoneGold died, so did the main connection (for me, anyway) between the community where I post in the forum and computer gaming. I like that there's gaming-related forums here, but I visit them less and less as I'm just not as interested in discussing gaming (or gaming in general) as I used to be. Again, it seems like a whole lot of other people also consider this to be a forum first, and a gaming forum second (if at all).

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to revisit whether this is really a "gaming" site, especially before anyone puts a ton of work into the front page (assuming someone will do so at some point). If the bulk of the activity in a given community has been non-gaming for half a year, someone is going to be frustrated when they step forward and try to refocus on that content - either the person trying to steer will get mad when too few people want to go that way, or (some of) the people being steered will get mad because that's not the way they want to go.

I'm just bringing this up now as it doesn't seem that the data supports the notion that "this is supposed to be a "site" about gaming." Perhaps better to work that out sooner than later.

Sith
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I agree. My interest in gaming has waned considerably over the past few years. I barely read the games forums at all anymore. Unless you guys have some kind of value-add comparable to GG's old Gold Guide up your sleeves, I wonder if positioning yourself as a "gaming site' makes sense. Especially since we all know that PC gaming is dying. :wink:
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

A forum, like any other circus, needs to promise some freak show out front to draw in the rubes. Gaming is as good a draw as any.

Without some draw, the forum will eventually wither as gonegold was reputed to be withering in its last year or two. People move on, change interests, get banned, take jobs that restrict posting, and eventually die.

If as Sith Lord and Ironrod suggest, gaming is out, I suggest a front page featuring scholarly analysis of the works of Daniel Quinn and Jared Diamond.
Over here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Titties and beer. 'nuff said.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

15:13CST:

Code: Select all

Forum		Topics	Posts	Avg Post/topic

PC             484	10058	20.78099174
GBT            1242	23810	19.17069243
Unrel          431	6091	14.13225058
Console        350	4072	11.63428571
MP             140	4636	33.11428571
OOLB           246	1661	6.75203252

EBG            5633	113905	20.221019
RP             1112	35599	32.01348921
Compu          715	5480	7.664335664
Trade          372	2182	5.865591398
Bin            268	1453	5.421641791
Meta           176	3894	22.125

Gaming		2893	50328	17.39647425
Nongaming	8276	162513	19.63666022
Total		11169	212841	19.05640612
Looking at posts/topic I have noticed a phenomenon I call the Zaxxon UT2K4 effect. Curiously, it is stronger than the R&P effect, previously believed to the the strongest post-binder.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

I guess I'm a narrow hermit because I only read the game threads.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ioticus wrote:I guess I'm a narrow hermit because I only read the game threads.
And yet, here you are. :lol:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My feeling is that the site will still be gaming focused, but not rigidly so. I think it will help the site to have a focus (and it is our origin, after all), but clearly a lot of people are here for more than just gaming.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
theohall

Post by theohall »

The Mad Hatter wrote:I didn't expect it to be interpreted as some kind of subtle joke.
In this place? That's an odd expectation.
msurby

Post by msurby »

I don't think that the stats really mean all that much. Look at The Bargain Bin hanging out there at the bottom. I don't think that is due to it being any less useful than anything else. Also, EBG and R&P have such huge scopes that it is understandable that they are huge. There are only so many games to talk about while there is an infinite amount of worthwhile topics and useless crap to debate in the two biggies.

I see this as a site for a bunch of gamer psuedo-buddies who like to hang out and shoot the shit about a bunch of different stuff. Isn't that a good enough reason to exist?
A candy-coated clown they call the Sandman...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Looking at posts/topic I have noticed a phenomenon I call the Zaxxon UT2K4 effect. Curiously, it is stronger than the R&P effect, previously believed to the the strongest post-binder.
I like totally kick ass.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Looking at posts/topic I have noticed a phenomenon I call the Zaxxon UT2K4 effect. Curiously, it is stronger than the R&P effect, previously believed to the the strongest post-binder.
I like totally lick ass.
Fixed that for ya'. You wait until Kratz finds out.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
I like totally lick ass.
Fixed that for ya'. You wait until Kratz finds out.
Crap.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Tareeq wrote:If as Sith Lord and Ironrod suggest, gaming is out, I suggest a front page featuring scholarly analysis of the works of Daniel Quinn and Jared Diamond.
I dunno. Have you ever talked to people that believe in that stuff?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog