The Spoiler Tag

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

docvego

The Spoiler Tag

Post by docvego »

I think this got mentioned in passing in a few spots, but I think it's worthy of a topic since I think there are quite a few other people interested in this as well.

A lot of phpBB forums have a Spoiler BBCode that users can wrap around post text. After the post is made, text in a spoiler bracket can only be seen when it is highlighted.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Spoiler:
Could this be a hidden feature here?
Let's see.
Over here.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think a lot of people use the white font to accomplish this. Of course, you need the subsilver background for that to work.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

And there is this color if you are using the black background.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
hog

Post by hog »

So to make sure that nobody can see the spoiler with either theme, you'd have to write it twice, once in each theme's invisible color.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

The Hogenator wrote:So to make sure that nobody can see the spoiler with either theme, you'd have to write it twice, once in each theme's invisible color.
I invite you to try that, then revel in the universal cries of outrage it will engender. ;)

- Ash
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You could use a well planned combination.

Or the simple *spoiler warning*

Spoiler here.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

LawBeefaroni wrote:You could use a well planned combination.

<snip>
Spoiler here.
That is definitely an option. The automated spoiler function is a lot more elegant though and protects against accidental exposure to spoilers.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Well, for what it's worth I'd love to see a spoiler tag.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I do think the issue was the different backgrounds that were used. The spoiler tags essentially change the color of the text to match the background (like some have done manually in this thread), but since we have both light and dark backgrounds that people can use, it doesn't work for everyone.

Of course, if the spoiler tags could somehow be automated to correct for the different backgrounds, that would be great. I'll leave the feasibility of something like that to Gedd, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

The Drod forum has [secret] tags that hide the text behind a 'click here to view' message. I don't know much about modding forums, so I don't know if something like this is available with what the OO forum uses, but it is possible with some forum software to have tags that'll work no matter what background is used.

Here's a good example of it in use from a thread asking for hints in a room:
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... ge=0#63878

Oh, and I'm all for spoiler tags. The Drod forums and DVDTalk both use them and they work really great. It could've saved a few headaches in our recent 'best episode of TV' thread which was full of spoilers.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote:You could use a well planned combination.

Of course, if the spoiler includes a fairly long description, it would take an hour to write the post.

I'm all in favor of spoiler tags - they work really well, and let you read the meat of a post without trying to guess where the spoilers stop.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

I believe there are several phpBB mods for adding in spoiler tags. I'll look into what's involved. If you haven't heard back from me in 2 weeks please remind me (I'm on vacation next week).
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Gedd wrote:If you haven't heard back from me in 2 weeks please remind me
:D
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Lookout!
Spoiler:
Made you look.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

It's interesting to me that the tags weren't retroactively applied to Tareeq's post.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Tareeq wrote:
Spoiler:
Let's see.
Testing if catches 'reeq's post.
Spoiler:
Let the abuse begin!
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I forsee a dark future in which hordes of black bars are strewn liberally across my previously beautiful subsilver landscape.

[edit] - It seems that the code is only parsed once when you hit post . . . after that it's just text in the html. Which makes sense, now that I think about it. It'd be cumbersome if phpBB had to compile the thread continuously.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Fretmute wrote:It's interesting to me that the tags weren't retroactively applied to Tareeq's post.
It is. What your seeing with Tareeq's post is the difference in the way information is stored in the database, and how it's rendered. When phpBB stores a tag, it's actually stored in the format [sometag:sid] where sometag is the tag and sid is some sort of session id number. If there's no session id number, phpBB treats it as normal text when it renders. Because is now recognized as a phpBB tag, it stores it in the database in the aforementioned format.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Spoiler:
My cat's breath smells like cat food.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Who will be the first to let loose this upon EBG?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I believe Fed once had a good line about unleashing the Uruk-Hai in the Smurf's village. Only evil can come from this.

[edit] - Or not, my spoiler bars are now a very pleasing shade from the subsilver palate. Carry on.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Fretmute wrote:I forsee a dark future in which hordes of black bars are strewn liberally across my previously beautiful subsilver landscape.
That was just my initial take on it. I may make more changes in the future, but this will do for now.
[edit] - It seems that the code is only parsed once when you hit post . . . after that it's just text in the html. Which makes sense, now that I think about it. It'd be cumbersome if phpBB had to compile the thread continuously.
Nope, it's actually re-rendered every time, which actually makes sense so you can change the HTML represented by each code on the fly. So if tomorrow I wanted to switch the bold and italic tags, I could make a change in two files (for each theme) and it would automatically handle all the old posts.

While rendering the page each time may be more burdensome on the server, writing the posts to the database as HTML would make the database that much bigger.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Preacher wrote:Who will be the first to let loose this upon EBG?
Spoiler:
Your momma. :P
Apparently, smilies can't be spoilers. That should make for some interesting hidden paragraphs.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Fretmute wrote:I believe Fed once had a good line about unleashing the Uruk-Hai in the Smurf's village. Only evil can come from this.
I'll note that like anything this tag, like avatars, sigs, etc. is a courtesy to our board members. If it gets abused, or folks use it for the wrong reasons, like masking large amounts of profanity or insults in order to make it tough for mods to see, the staff will take appropriate action. If it becomes abused on a larger scale we'll take it back out.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Gedd wrote:<Technical notes>
I stand corrected. Further evidence that I never really have a clue what I'm talking about, yet make my opinions known regardless. It's all part of my charm.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Fretmute wrote:
Gedd wrote:<Technical notes>
I stand corrected. Further evidence that I never really have a clue what I'm talking about, yet make my opinions known regardless. It's all part of my charm.
Spoiler:
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

The Preacher wrote:
Spoiler:
It's like unwrapping a present, except it's really the opposite of that. "Gee, I hope he wrote something nice . . . . oh, it's a burn! Nooooooooooooo!"
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Fretmute wrote:
The Preacher wrote:
Spoiler:
It's like unwrapping a present, except it's really the opposite of that. "Gee, I hope he wrote something nice . . . . oh, it's a burn! Nooooooooooooo!"
Yes, this power will be used for great, great evil.
warning

Post by warning »

Spoiler:
Bruce Willis is really dead in The Sixth Sense
Spoiler:
Ralph-Wiggum is a man
Spoiler:
Brad Pitt's wife's head is in the box
Spoiler:
Soylent Green is people!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tareeq wrote:
Spoiler:
Let's see.
Then how come Tareeq's post at the top of this thread *isn't* being re-parsed?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

warning wrote:
Spoiler:
Kevin Bacon is Keyser Soze
Spoiler:
Liar!
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Then how come Tareeq's post at the top of this thread *isn't* being re-parsed?
Gedd, earlier in the thread wrote:It is. What your seeing with Tareeq's post is the difference in the way information is stored in the database, and how it's rendered. When phpBB stores a tag, it's actually stored in the format [sometag:sid] where sometag is the tag and sid is some sort of session id number. If there's no session id number, phpBB treats it as normal text when it renders. Because is now recognized as a phpBB tag, it stores it in the database in the aforementioned format.

To further expand, Tareeq's post was made when it wasn't a tag, so it doesn't have that sid information attached to it in the database, so phpBB ignores it. If Tareeq were to edit his post, it would now be stored with the sid and would render as a spoiler.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

It burns!
warning

Post by warning »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
warning wrote:
Spoiler:
Ralph-Wiggum is a man
Spoiler:
Liar!
Hmm... :D
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Oh, one thing I forgot. I have also programmed in a super-advanced function for seeing all spoiler text on the page. Simply press CTRL-A and all secrets shall be revealed.
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Cool, nice work Gedd.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Gedd wrote:Oh, one thing I forgot. I have also programmed in a super-advanced function for seeing all spoiler text on the page. Simply press CTRL-A and all secrets shall be revealed.
Hey, I tried it in Word and it does it there too. It does it everywhere!WTF did you do to my computr!???!!??!?/
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Don't worry LB. As part of my advanced programming skills I foresaw your issue. Simply follow CTRL-A in Word with CTRL-X and the problem will disappear.