The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Holman »

It's insane that anyone--let alone our national media--is treating January 6 and the conspiracy fueling it as anything but what it is.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Kurth wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:38 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:53 pm Well said. Agree.
Yep. That said, it’s not like those people grow on trees.
I know it sounds obvious, but there are plenty of folks in the Democratic party that don't want to consider a candidate who appeals to the center, which a successful populist candidate in the Democratic party would have to do in order to win a national election.

I don't think a Charismatic candidate has to be as smart as Clinton or Obama to succeed (though that would be nice) if they have Charisma and a connection with the public. I think Reagan and W both showed how they could simply be a convenient path to let the real Masterminds (Dick Cheney and co.) in the door.

I do think the Ideal Candidate needs some knowledge and savvy, I certainly wouldn't want a Trump-like idiot at the top of the ticket and Liberals are naturally drawn to Policy Wonks, so maybe you pick one as a VP if the main guy doesn't have it. But I fear a heavy dose of Political Correctness is coming our way, at least in the national party, which is going to be even more anti-populist than the folks who have been running the show in recent decades, so I have real fears about our ability to win national elections in the future.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kurth wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:27 pm Having read the indictment now, one thing I don't really understand is this statement in the beginning, paragraph 3:
The Defendant had a right, like every American, to speak publicly about the election and even to claim, falsely, that there had been outcome-determinative fraud during the election and that he had won.
It feels like there's a real tension between that statement and then paragraph after paragraph of allegations about Trump's stupid, false Tweets and statements.

I'm not sure why that statement is in there. He's not "like every American." He was the freaking President. His speaking publicly about the election and making knowingly false claims that he won seems like an important element of the charged crimes of defrauding and obstructing and disenfranchising.
The first 6 or so minutes of this video do a good job explaining the difference. TLDR version: You can lie all you want - as long as it's not an element in furtherance of a crime...in this case an alleged criminal conspiracy. They aren't punishing the speech (as first amendment protections would be problematic due to the political nature), they are punishing the conspiracy.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is an absolutely *inane* arguement that he knows with 100% certainty would never happen. But that's the point. This is not acting as a lawyer. This is him acting in a parallel role as a political agitator for Trump. It isn't a stretch to presume that when he calls West Virginia more "characteristics of the American people" that this is a dog whistle about "real America".

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Much more diverse than what? The Daughters of the Confederacy?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In this case, "more diverse" means whiter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

There is no basis for a venue change. None.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

More diverse:

And how many judges in West Virginny were Trump appointees? Enough to make it worth another roll of the dice?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good news. Trump isn't show any signs his team is even going to offer a reasonable defense.

NBC News
If former President Donald Trump committed a “technical violation of the Constitution,” it doesn’t mean he necessarily broke any criminal laws, John Lauro, Trump’s criminal defense attorney, argued on NBC’s “Meet the Press."

In an interview Sunday, Lauro appeared to signal how he’d defend the former president in a trial that will stem from the four-count criminal indictment returned last week by a federal grand jury that had been examining Trump’s possible role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot and his alleged attempts to overturn the 2020 election.

Pressed by NBC's Chuck Todd on Trump's alleged pressure campaign to get former Vice President Mike Pence to reverse the election, Lauro claimed that Trump and Pence had merely engaged in a disagreement over whether a vice president could constitutionally take actions that could lead to a presidential election being overturned.

“A technical violation of the Constitution is not a violation of criminal law," Lauro contended, calling it "just plain wrong" to suggest that Trump had pressed Pence to break the law.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Heh:

“Trump calls for recusal of judge in Jan. 6 case ‘on very powerful grounds’”

Say what you will about the man, but you can easily recognize his speech, even without context.

He uses adjectives so…strangely, it’s almost like an ESL situation. They aren’t wrong, per se, most of the time, but they just read/sound “off”.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Apollo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:36 pm All we need is a Charismatic Candidate who isn't a Left Wing Radical and we could beat Trump easily.
The problem is, any candidate who gets nominated will be labeled a Left Wing Radical, facts be damned. They're calling Biden a Left Wing Radical (why are we capitalizing this? ;) ) fercryingoutloud.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That case is dead in the water with that judge. She's openly trying to subvert the process on her own. It's insane and it will work. Thankfully there are other cases, but any "victory" feeds the false prosecution narrative. Awesome.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't think it's dead in the water. No matter how much it gets delayed, it won't go away and will always be hanging over his head.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Everything I've heard today indicates this appears at best to be a pretty significant error by Cannon. It's apparently normal to introduce supplemental evidence from grand juries from other jurisdictions. And also normal for there to be multiple grand juries looking at aspects of a case. The crux of the matter is that the government can only file motions under seal when they involve a grand jury because they have to protect the integrity of the grand jury in that other jurisdiction. So what I'm hearing is that DOJ will politely inform her that she has made an error and then if she continues they'll be pretty much compelled to go to the 11th.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:19 pm go to the 11th.
I google a lot of lawyerese here, but this one, unfortunately, just returns Spinal Tap references. Can you offer a translation?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:18 pm
I google a lot of lawyerese here, but this one, unfortunately, just returns Spinal Tap references. Can you offer a translation?
The 11th circuit appeals court. Larger context, during the investigatory and document recovery process her decisions were overturned by the 11th - twice. Much like that case (and others - see below) some folks are saying it looks like she is making fundamental errors again. Based on her demonstrated acumen it seems reasonable to expect the prosecution will need to do it all over again if she is making errors.

Why are people assuming errors? During the previous Trump case she made errors and notably a story popped up a few days ago @ NBC indicating she made major errors in a trial a couple of months ago. She didn't swear in the jury and violated some of the rules that protect a basic right to a public trial. Good grief. This is what happens when you select for ideology instead of competence.
The judge in former President Donald Trump’s upcoming trial over his handling of classified documents made two key errors in a June trial, one of which violated a fundamental constitutional right of the defendant and could have invalidated the proceedings, according to legal experts and a court transcript.

Florida-based U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon closed jury selection for the trial of an Alabama man — accused by federal prosecutors of running a website with images of child sex abuse — to the defendant’s family and the general public, a trial transcript obtained by Reuters showed. A defendant’s right to a public trial is enshrined in the U.S. Constitution’s Sixth Amendment.

Cannon, a 42-year-old former federal prosecutor appointed by Trump to the bench in 2020 late in his presidency, also neglected to swear in the prospective jury pool — an obligatory procedure in which people who may serve on the panel pledge to tell the truth during the selection process. This error forced Cannon to re-start jury selection before the trial ended abruptly with defendant William Spearman pleading guilty as part of an agreement with prosecutors.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This infographic is your friend: United States Federal Court System by the Constitutional Accountability Center.

It's my go to whenever I'm trying to remember which courts are in which circuit.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I google a lot of lawyerese here, but this one, unfortunately, just returns Spinal Tap references.
That made me chuckle.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kurth wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:12 pm
This infographic is your friend: United States Federal Court System by the Constitutional Accountability Center.

It's my go to whenever I'm trying to remember which courts are in which circuit.
Which would have helped had I known we were discussing Federal circuit courts. I was trying to figure out how the 11th Amendment applied.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Until we know what the sentence is, I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm ignoring most news on drumpf and am waiting patiently for the final word on the matter.

And no one has been convicted of anything, yet.

*patiently waits*
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There will never be a final word on him.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:39 am There will never be a final word on him.
from the justice system.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:43 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:39 am There will never be a final word on him.
from the justice system.
Highly likely he'll die first.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And then comes the probate fights and the wars of succession.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Too many indictments, too few lawyers, too many TV appearances?

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Aaanndd, denied.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya the DC courts are not playing around. Slightly different than FL. I can't believe they have the balls to try and move the case to West Virginia. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This is the case to watch. :pop:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:06 pm This is the case to watch. :pop:
I feel like we need separate threads for the various cases.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:43 pm
Who are you and what did you do with Kraken? That is NOT your avatar image!
malchior

Post by malchior »

She definitely seems to be setting the tone with regards to the time table. Trump's amateur hour lawyers look like they are going to be taken to task if they play games with this judge.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kurth wrote:
Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:43 pm
Who are you and what did you do with Kraken? That is NOT your avatar image!
He is now Kryten.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:35 pm She definitely seems to be setting the tone with regards to the time table. Trump's amateur hour lawyers look like they are going to be taken to task if they play games with this judge.
Ten to one he's going to be looking for new lawyers soon. These guys are going to get shredded. Trump is going to be pissed. And he's probably going to stop paying them. They'll be gone before too long, and he'll move even lower down the food chain of lawyers. And he was already getting close to the end of the bench . . . :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:30 pm Who are you and what did you do with Kraken? That is NOT your avatar image!
I'm watching and enjoying Red Dwarf again (free on Tubi) and Kryten is me. Kraken...Kryten...have you ever seen us in the same room?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Posting this here, because I'm too lazy to see if there's a more appropriate thread.

I have no idea if this guy's definition of fascism is perfectly accurate, but if it is, Drumpf is more than willing to be a fascist to get and stay in (and return to) power.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:53 am Posting this here, because I'm too lazy to see if there's a more appropriate thread.

I have no idea if this guy's definition of fascism is perfectly accurate, but if it is, Drumpf is more than willing to be a fascist to get and stay in (and return to) power.
Beau of the Fifth Column did a video on this 2 years ago but he used 14 characteristics of a fascist rather than 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M6CXhUS-x8
FTE