THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Diablo 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaddison

Re: Diablo 4

Post by Jaddison »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:45 am I haven't paid any attention to the D4 seasons, but decided to jump in with a new Rogue last night. I'm a little confused on what it is I'm actually supposed to be doing.

From what I can tell, I'm just supposed to be killing all the constantly respawning mobs in the red Helltide zones? Is that pretty much it? I spent a couple hours doing that last night (got up to level 20), but it already felt kinda boring. I'm sure there's probably something else I need to jump into once I hit a certain level (50?) but I have no idea what that something is.

Full disclosure: I haven't touched D4 since finishing the campaign ages ago, so I don't really know what the endgame involves.
You start doing that to get to Iron Wolves level 1, then go to the Iron Wolves camp to get some fairly significant rewards and the start of a quest. You should already have Iron wolves fast travel point
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I've made the dumb decision to replay the campaign with a new necro to experience the story again and be introduced to the new loot system organically. Didn't get too far, not even past the first town (just cleared out the corrupted temple), so looking forward to it.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:45 am I haven't paid any attention to the D4 seasons, but decided to jump in with a new Rogue last night. I'm a little confused on what it is I'm actually supposed to be doing.

From what I can tell, I'm just supposed to be killing all the constantly respawning mobs in the red Helltide zones? Is that pretty much it? I spent a couple hours doing that last night (got up to level 20), but it already felt kinda boring. I'm sure there's probably something else I need to jump into once I hit a certain level (50?) but I have no idea what that something is.

Full disclosure: I haven't touched D4 since finishing the campaign ages ago, so I don't really know what the endgame involves.
My only suggestion is to do the world tier dungeons as soon as they become available and move up the tiers. The default difficulty is close to playing in god mode. If you want to actually use your abilities, you'll have to wait until the higher tiers.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaddison wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:05 pm

You start doing that to get to Iron Wolves level 1, then go to the Iron Wolves camp to get some fairly significant rewards and the start of a quest. You should already have Iron wolves fast travel point
Did that. I'm currently at level 4 and apparently the next quest step unlocks at level 5. Is there something I should be doing other than simply killing trash mobs in the red zones to move that along?
Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:56 pm My only suggestion is to do the world tier dungeons as soon as they become available and move up the tiers. The default difficulty is close to playing in god mode. If you want to actually use your abilities, you'll have to wait until the higher tiers.
I started on Level 2, which seemed to be the highest selection I could make. Do I get a notification when a world tier dungeon becomes available? Not really sure what those are or what to look for.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

My 2 cents:

Level 1-40: World Tier 2 and focus only on the seasonal quest line and helltides. Helltides will mainly be it. Class quest at lvl 15ish
Level 40: Do the capstone dungeon which will unlock World Tier 3
Level 40-60: World Tier 3 and nightmare dungeons with a little helltides and whispers mixed in
Level 60: Capstone dungeon that unlocks World Tier 4
Level 60 - 100: World Tier 4 and focus on nightmare dungeons to level your glyphs
Level 100: The Pit and end game bosses, with mastercrafting your items for superpowers

Rough plan that I am following.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unless they've changed it, there's a dungeon in the main town that becomes available at a certain level. After you run that, you can change to World Tier 3. Later on (near the level cap), there will be another dungeon that opens up and works the same way. I haven't played much in the last couple o f seasons, but it used to be possible to do it a few levels before the 'recommended' level, and there used to be a workaround to do it at any level by having another player who's already unlocked it invite you to their party and go in.

If you want to get higher level faster (and this is from memory), do the following:

~Do the seasonal quest to unlock the seasonal 'power' as soon as you can
~Always have an elixir active for the XP bonus
~Always run the capstone dungeons (World Tier unlocks) as early as you can to get the higher XP from higher tiers
~Focus on running all of the dungeons that have powers for your class as you level (if you know exactly how you're going to build, you can limit it to those that you need for that.)
~Collect the altars of Lilith
~Focus on upgrading and imprinting your jewelry (you keep it a long time)
~Avoid upgrading and imprinting your weapons (you replace them frequently)
~Sell only if you need the money right now, right this moment. Scrap everything instead. You'll get more money in two or three minutes at high level than you will selling every single item from 1-30. By the time you actually start needing it, you'll be bringing it in by the millions, even without selling.
~When you're not doing that, run helltides
~Maxroll is your friend.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:40 pm Unless they've changed it, there's a dungeon in the main town that becomes available at a certain level. After you run that, you can change to World Tier 3. Later on (near the level cap), there will be another dungeon that opens up and works the same way. I haven't played much in the last couple o f seasons, but it used to be possible to do it a few levels before the 'recommended' level, and there used to be a workaround to do it at any level by having another player who's already unlocked it invite you to their party and go in.

If you want to get higher level faster (and this is from memory), do the following:

~Do the seasonal quest to unlock the seasonal 'power' as soon as you can
~Always have an elixir active for the XP bonus
~Always run the capstone dungeons (World Tier unlocks) as early as you can to get the higher XP from higher tiers
~Focus on running all of the dungeons that have powers for your class as you level (if you know exactly how you're going to build, you can limit it to those that you need for that.)
~Collect the altars of Lilith
~Focus on upgrading and imprinting your jewelry (you keep it a long time)
~Avoid upgrading and imprinting your weapons (you replace them frequently)
~Sell only if you need the money right now, right this moment. Scrap everything instead. You'll get more money in two or three minutes at high level than you will selling every single item from 1-30. By the time you actually start needing it, you'll be bringing it in by the millions, even without selling.
~When you're not doing that, run helltides
~Maxroll is your friend.
only changes to what you laid out is the faster you do the seasonal tiers the faster you get the shards that let you accelerate XP
You have to do helltides now starting at level 1
Potion crafting happens much sooner and it is part of the seasonal journey unlocks
The season quests yield significant rewards unlike past seasons that you basicall got useless loot
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks all, very helpful.

I doubt I'm in this for the long haul (the next game to keep my extended interest in endgame will be the first) but it would be fun to at least give it a dedicated shot.

Rogue has been pretty fun so far...need to find a build guide though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:00 pm Rogue has been pretty fun so far...need to find a build guide though.
See Maxroll, above. Avoid Icy Veins (an old standard go-to that has, as I understand it, been compromised by egos that always 'know better.')
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

after playing a little more I think if you tried it before but were meh or you were thinking of jumping in this is the season to do it. They have simplified some things as well as, so far, greatly enhanced the loot area. I got a reward for the main quest line for this season which were legendary special gear aligned to my particular druid build whereas in past seasons loot rewards or drops would more often than not not help your build.
They also seemed to have beefed up the rewards from running regular quests.
If they had launched with this or half of these things the D4 reputation is almost certainly not what it is currently
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Are you following the Iron Wolves questline? Get to Rank 1 triggers a missing caravan quest, that's as far as I have got. I am level 17/ Normally the season questline gets you to 50+
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I jumped back in with a Barbarian, one of the only two classes I haven't tried yet (the other being Sorceress). Having fun so far.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Reemul wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:54 am

Are you following the Iron Wolves questline? Get to Rank 1 triggers a missing caravan quest, that's as far as I have got. I am level 17/ Normally the season questline gets you to 50+
Yep. I got to Rank 8 last night, and Rank 9 apparently unlocks the next Iron Wolves quest.

I may give the Capstone Dungeon to unlock World Tier III a shot next. Says it's for level 50+, but I've been melting pretty much everything at level 37 (famous last words, I'm sure :lol: )
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I ditched the Barb. I usually like melee brute classes but he just felt too slow. Even though I was using a good build guide, it felt like he was taking too long to GIT GUD.

So I switched to Sorceress and having a better time. This is a chain lightning build, and the chain lightning causes AoE fireball explosions. You can imagine the mayhem this causes. It's quite entertaining.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yeah I dumped barbarian again, faster than last time but still too slow, doing a Necro now, it's a killing machine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Made some decent progress over the past week. Got a Rogue up to 65, finished 100% on the world map, completed all the Strongholds, made it World Tier 4, and got up to Chapter 5 on the Season progress. Felt pretty satisfying to finally do a bunch of things that I never bothered with after finishing the campaign.

All that said, I don't think the endgame grind for D4 is really my thing. I did finally figure out how it all works (mostly), but it's just not interesting enough for me to stick with it.

I'm probably good calling it quits here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I played the tail end of season 1, did pretty much everything in season 2, and played a little of season 3. I've been through the campaign twice. I'm still a little burned out, so I'm probably going to sit it out for a season or two until the urge strikes again.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just hit 65 as well, World Tier 4, almost done with Chapter 4 of the season. I think it's filling a nice niche right now because I have no PC games I'm playing. Good game to turn off my mind and play while listening to music or whatever.

I don't particularly enjoy the Helltide grind either so I've been working on world map stuff. Even though it's not technically advancing me through the seasonal objectives, the chances of me still playing this by season end are probably slim to none anyway so I might as well do things I find fun.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Playing a new type of necro for me, no minions, Blood Surge and Corpse explosion are my two main weapons. Every once in a while I'll throw in the basic level blood skill, but CE generates 6 essence per shot, so I just BS (with a double-burst aspect), then CE and mobs just melt. I also found a thorns tempering that lets me put 99-150 thorns on every single piece of armor, which bumps my thorns up to 800+. And then last night I found Razormail, which gives over 3500 thorns... :shock: If anything gets past my initial barrage of BS and CE, they one-shot themselves on my thorns. Pretty crazy, lots of fun. I'm sure I'll start hitting a wall in Tier 3, much less 4, but for now I'm having a blast.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Mandeville

Post by Mandeville »

I’m back. I finished the main story last year and lost interest in season one. Then I would pick up my first character occasionally and run through side quests that I missed the first time around. I wasn’t loving it. My son is playing, and he tells me that the new season is great, and loot is better. So, I started a Necromancer and I’m having a good time. Leveling feels faster. Let’s see how long this new interest lasts.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Does the Paragon board expand at some point? I've filled out every node available but am still gaining Paragon points. What am I supposed to spend those on?

I don't find the new loot system nearly as interesting as everyone else does. The ability to reroll just about every stat makes loot all feel pretty much the same. If I don't like whatever drops, I can just go change it to something else. That's not very compelling imo, but maybe there are more things that happen as you get deeper into the endgame.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:57 pm Does the Paragon board expand at some point? I've filled out every node available but am still gaining Paragon points. What am I supposed to spend those on?
Yes, there are multiple paragon boards you add on to the initial one. Click on/unlock a "board attachment gate" at the edge of the paragon board; then you can select the next board to attach, as well as rotating it.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

I take it you're not following a Maxroll (or similar) build guide for now, which is fine, but I like following their paragon guide for my chosen build so I don't have to fuss with it myself. I still customize.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg