Alternate Theme Available

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Gedd
Technical Admin

Alternate Theme Available

Post by Gedd »

Per a whole bunch of your requests, I've installed a dark background alternate theme. To use it, head to your profile, scroll down to board style, and select Black and submit.

A few notes:

1) This theme is only temporary. Once we have the site art and theme finished up, we'll be making at least two themes available for the forum (light on dark, dark on light). The Black theme is just a temporary measure for those who can't stand subSilver.

2) You'll notice the alternate theme has a certain familiar look to it. This is because it was part of the development work I was doing for the migration back then. I've looked at a lot of the other black background themes for phpBB and I don't like any of them. So I could either do nothing, or I could make a few slight modifications and use this theme. Creating a new dark background theme is beyond the time I have available right now, and wouldn't make much sense anyway as it's only temporary.

3) If there are any problems with this theme, technical or otherwise, please post them here or PM me. If something doesn't work on the theme, you can always switch back to subSilver until I get a chance to fix it.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Oh that feels NICE.
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

THANK YOU!
phishbate

Post by phishbate »

<3
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Tres jazzy. Mucho appreciated. :D

- Ash
WPD

Post by WPD »

It feels like I fell over and hit my head and went to heaven.

Did I? :shock:
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Gedd -

I'm currently messing with the stylesheet and config for phpbb both for my own site, and in mocking up/trying out different looks for some potential OO things...

Couple questions:
Is there a key somewhere that identifies exactly what each value controls, or is it just trial and error?

How did you set it up so that the text box text color (e.g. where you type when you are replying) was black? I changed the text color in a theme and it changed it both on the page (good), and in the textbox (bad, since it was nearly white).

Also - the topic review (when replying) is still showing up as subSilver with this theme - if you figure out where that is, let me know. :)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Thank you, Gedd. It's like being home again.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Very nice. Big improvement.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Kratz, quick answers...if you need more detail, let me know.
Kratz wrote:Is there a key somewhere that identifies exactly what each value controls, or is it just trial and error?
The best thing to do is to find the element you want to change, identify the class it's assigned, and modify that class.

For instance, if I want to change the text color of just the post text, I look and see that the text is wrapped with a span class of postbody. I then make the change there.

As a general rule, I try to only modify classes which have the property value pair already assigned. For instance, if I want to change the color of the text, and the immediate text class doesn't contain a color assignment, I start going up the tree and checking its parents. Once I find a parent class that has the color assignment, I try modifying that. If I get undesired results, then I go back to the original class.
How did you set it up so that the text box text color (e.g. where you type when you are replying) was black? I changed the text color in a theme and it changed it both on the page (good), and in the textbox (bad, since it was nearly white).
I believe there's a class assignement for the textarea element. If it's not there, let me know.
Also - the topic review (when replying) is still showing up as subSilver with this theme - if you figure out where that is, let me know. :)
For some unknown reason, there's a lot of hard-coded references to "subSilver" in the templates (I'd think it'd be based off a variable, but what do I know...). When I copied the subSilver files into my Black folder, I did a global search and replace on the Black folder, changing subSilver to Black. Most likely that template page has a hard-coded reference to the subSilver style sheet.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Interesting - thanks for the reply. I had messed with the style sheet itself when I was doing OO mockups, but was using the tool in phpbb when I was messing with it on my site the other day... I'll just go nuts on the style sheet itself next time.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

deja vu.
CSL

Post by CSL »

w00t
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

It's easier to read, but to be honest I hope the permanent dark background takes a bigger departure from the old site. This looks ok but something seems off about it, could just be the way the avatars blend in or something I'm not sure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can almost guarantee the final dark/light will differ from this. The biggest holdup is the art - until we have finalized the art, we don't know what color OO will be. Greens? Blues? Magenta? Once we have the finalized art set in our hands, we will be able to make themes based on it.

Gedd just had this one lying around and ready to go from... some other site... and thought it might keep us happy in the meantime. Since it is temporary, tweaking and adjusting is unlikely - in a permanent theme, there will likely be all sorts of little things adjusted.

Personally, it is a huge help to me. I'm so light sensitive that I couldn't view the SubSilver theme for more than 15 minutes at a time without getting a headache.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Can I give that picture a thumbs-down? :P

- Ash
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Oh, and given how much better my black-bordered avatar looks on a black background, I formally petition for a permanent black-backgrounded theme of some sort.

I mean, can there really be any more important considerations than the impact of the theme on my personal avatar? I didn't think so.

- Ash
Odin

Post by Odin »

Rich in KCK wrote:It's easier to read, but to be honest I hope the permanent dark background takes a bigger departure from the old site.
I'd just like to chime in with my 100% disagreement with this. I think it looks fine as-is.

Sith
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

I like it.
Listen to the Eels
Padre

Post by Padre »

I'm not sure about it - it's just too close to the old days - painful memories - *sob*...

Had it been a perfect reincarnation, I would probably be rejoicing, but as it is it's all slightly... wrong, somehow, like a lamentably departed spouse who is reanimated by dark and sinister rituals and returns, zombie-style, to once again seek your love and, possibly, your BRAINS....

...this is too creepy. I gotta switch back. It was easier when I'd made a clean break...
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

My avatar hates you.:evil:

;)
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
knob

Post by knob »

I was just starting to get used to the white stuff.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Well then keep the white stuff.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
docvego

Post by docvego »

Humm.. this new theme feels somehow familiar..... :lol:
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Weird. Not sure I'm crazy about it. Fortunately, it's not mandatory. I dunno.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

I like it for now. Feels a bit like the old joint.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
\/\/olverine

Post by \/\/olverine »

Damnit, I JUST now noticed this thread and the alternate theme! Its a beaut!
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Thanks. You may also want to check this thread. Particularly this bit:
Custom titles are held to the same standard as signatures, avatars, and screen names. That means no obscenities or profanity, and of course nothing else which would violate the rules in place for posts (no racial slurs, flames, etc.). Violators will have their tag edited or deleted.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Wolverine he is trying to ask you to remove the profanity from your custom title. The next request will not be as nice I'm sure.