2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Sticky Request - Books Read in 2005

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Smoove_B

Sticky Request - Books Read in 2005

Post by Smoove_B »

Would it be possible (or even appropriate) for one of our 8-armed masters to sticky this thread?

Not a big deal either way. Thanks

From the surface
-Smoove
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Odin

Post by Odin »

On the one hand, it's not something that everybody is interested in, nor is it part of the forum's "core values" if there even are any. So I can see the rationale in NOT sticking it.

On the other hand, it's a pain for those of us who ARE interested to track it down to update or just to see what others are reading. AND, if you try to be a good forum citizen and EDIT your post rather than appending to the thread, it keeps everything neat, but the thread doesn't get bumped by the edit.

Quite a conundrum.

Sith
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Exactamundo. I've got it bookmarked in IE -- which is great for me -- but by December it's going to be buried under Kelric's post-padding and Kasey's [WTF??!] news bites. :)

I was thinking by making it sticky it would get more attention and maybe get more people involved.

Thanks for the bump. ;)
MHS

Post by MHS »

Smoove, would you be okay with the idea of us polling here in the Meta-Forum to see what people think?

I'll be honest, I'm against it just because I think stickied threads are visually cluttering, and I tend to ignore them without even thinking about it after a few days. Also, it opens up a whole avenue of people wanting other, similar threads stickied. But godhugh's fine with it, so you have a 50/50 split in the mod opinion in EbG...how helpful! :) Perhaps some member perspective would help sway me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Also, it opens up a whole avenue of people wanting other, similar threads stickied.
That would be my fear. It may or may not be justified or relevant.

I'd think that stickies serve one of three puposes. 1) a permanent reminder to the entire community 2) a temporary heads up to the entire community or 3) a way to call temporary but necessary and timely attention to a specific whatever for a specific set of people.

Giving them more leeway is inviting them to be less important (less eye catching) and more cluttery, IMO.
funnygirl

Post by funnygirl »

I think for those who are interested, it isn't that hard to find. Keep it active and it will stay on the first page. Let it go for a few days, the search function works well.

It isn't a huge issue either way for me but I am one of those who tend to ignore stickied threads after the first day.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe it's also a function of how I browse the forums. I am always in the "show new posts" page. I never browse by forum.

Because it doesn't always contain new posts, it doesn't show up during my browsing, so I wouldn't notice it being sticky.

Since I'm lazy, when I'd want to find it, (ideally) I would just have to open the EBG forum and it would be at the top.

But I have it bookmarked, so it's all good either way. It's not very active with new posts, mostly people updating their current reading. And since you're only editing, it doesn't get bumped.

MHS: Sure - vote away.

I will try to pick something more controversial for my next metaforum posting. :)

EDIT: Also, in my sick, twisted brain I also thought there might be a chance for some $$$ for the Overlords if people start buying the books we're all reading through the links provided in the thread. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I should learn to browse by new posts....hmm....
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Something I've seen done on other boards and could address several threads that a lot of people are interested in:

Make 1 sticky in the forum and have the body of the sticky be links to various threads that need to be kept alive. That way you just pop in the single sticky thread to find whatever threads you're interested in quickly without having to depend on search feature.

Also, there's probably some add-on to the board that will allow people to designate "Favorite" threads so they don't lose them.