Peacedog kicks a mule

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Grundbegriff

Peacedog kicks a mule

Post by Grundbegriff »

In the thread, now locked, over at http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=9469, Peacedog edited away Blackhawk's link to a sourceforge page that offers eMule. Peacedog's note suggests that he thought the link was to a reservoir of bootleg TV shows, which it was not. He may have gotten that impression from the wording of the message that included the link. (Ironically, Peacedog left intact in the next message a link which actually does lead to a site populated by torrents of copyright-violating material.)

First question: wouldn't it be a good idea for a mod to verify the target of a link before deciding whether to eradicate it?

Second question: Since eMule is legal (and useful) peer to peer software, similar to bitTorrent and countless others, and since links to perfectly legal software are permitted here, shouldn't a link to a page offering eMule be permitted here?

People misuse p2p software. However, linking to the software isn't the same as linking to the misuse.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

A mistake on my part. I had both links open and simply confused which one belonged to which post. I've removed the link that should have been removed to begin with. Unfortunately, I do not have the previous link to said client, esle I'd restore it.
First question: wouldn't it be a good idea for a mod to verify the target of a link before deciding whether to eradicate it?
I alwasy verfity the link target. For going on 5 years now. I'm pretty sure eveyrone else on staff does as well, fwiw.

Mistakes happen.

Whoops, forgot to add - I'm glad you pointed it out. These sorts of things should be pointed out, here or via private channels. This wasn't an issue revolving around my blindly removing links, just "morning brain lock".

edit and then I prematurely hit the submit button. Brain still warming up.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It's nice to reiterate the point that while some software packages may have illegitimate uses, many also have very legal purposes. We've always been pretty strong about allowing links to legal software packages and links to non-shady sites that work with those software packages.

Only recently, in our new forum configuration, have we moved towards allowing linkage to slightly more-shady sites. And I think most of us on staff are keeping our eyes on that activity in an ongoing effort to evaluate whether that was the correct decision. (So far it seems to be working great!)

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

And to be clear:

linking to emule is perfectly legit. Or, software like it (different strokes for different folks and all that).